Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week 1: Curation

This was a very interesting assignment for me because I absolutely LOVE to organize! I am always looking for new tools and ideas to integrate into my school and work organization so I am looking forward to reading everyone's posts. I recently went from a full time office manager to a part time bookseller at Barnes and Noble, so I don't need much organization on the work front anymore, but that just means that I get to focus all of my skills on the semester! I also have two kids, my son is in first grad and my daughter is a sophomore in high school, to keep up with. Luckily my daughter is not into sports or band (she's a writer and artist type) so I don't have much to keep up with them. 

For school work and home life I utilize the bookmarks bar in Google Chrome and the calendar on my iphone to keep everything organized. I think I have a pretty good system down with my bookmarks because I have been using my system for about 10 years. I used to do furniture research for an architect so I would keep companies bookmarked by what their main offering was (i.e., chairs, tables, outdoor furniture, etc.).

Screenshot of my bookmarks. Source: Me.

I also use a physical planner to keep up with my work schedule, family appointments, and readings/homework for the semester. I recently found a new type of planner that really works well for me. The myAgenda planners work well if you have 4 or less classes. I actually use the Home Office edition of the momAgenda since it was larger than the rest. Also, it has places for me to keep important information for the family handy. I also recently found this blog (saralaughed.com) and she has a good post on organizing a planner and making a study guide. She also has other helpful posts as well.

I am VERY familiar with Pinterest and use Twitter often. I had never heard of Known, but have played around with it a little. I don't quite get what it is supposed to do yet, but I'm sure it's cool and look forward to learning more about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment